Tuesday, 1 February 2011

Transsiberian.

DVD Cover

I watched this film yesterday which had a promising plot outline, a promising cast and even the poster looked pretty good. Unfortunately, none of it turned out the way I'd hoped. It's a non-thrilling thriller and I'll forever use that term loosely when looking into a film to watch from now on. I think I may be being too harsh on this film as I when I read the plot outline I expected something almost horrifying, that would make me jump and that would have a disturbed couple which brutally murdered, tortured and hunted you down. It was nothing like this. I can't think of an apt description for this film.

A Trans-Siberian train journey from China to Moscow becomes a thrilling chase of deception and murder when an American couple encounters a mysterious pair of fellow travelers.

The main character, Jessie, is someone you're supposed to side with and pity but instead I ended up questioning her every decision, her every move and just everything she said. Maybe it's just my reaction but I did empathise with her at parts but other parts she was being a bit stupid about it all. The direction was so-so. It seemed as if it was being left to your own devices to guess what would happen and what the couple would encounter but the outcome of what actually happened was nothing but a bitter, slow and boring disappointment. There was also the fact that it was incredibly dragged out for a reason I don't understand. If it was to build the characters up then it could have been made shorter and it just seemed nothing but a bitter disappointment really.

Cast: Woody Harrelson, Emily Mortimer, Kate Mara, Eduardo Noriega and Ben Kingsley.

A eclectic cast of talent couldn't even hook you in and save this film. I'm notoriously easy to please when it comes to films as well. I can easily immerse myself into anything but this just had me questioning everything all the way through. I just don't understand why the film is teetering on the brink of two hours with a run time of 111 minutes when it could have been done in about 80 minutes. I'm not saying I don't like lengthy films nor am I being a philistine about such a thing but what I mean is that it was dragged out for a point I cannot even recall. I barely remember much happening in the film and that's because nothing really happened. I can remember certain scenes and none of them built up tension for me at all, except the church yard scene which was abruptly put on hold with shock and confusion; even that could have been more eventful.

Jessie: Kill off all my demons, Roy, and my angels might die, too.

In short; bad storyline, dragged out, too long, you don't really empathise with the main character and it could have been SO much better. In my opinion, it's not really worthy of a watch but that's just my opinion.

4/10.