Sunday, 2 March 2014

Oscar 2014 Predictions

Unfortunately as I'm out in Hong Kong, I won't be able to watch the Oscars live, nor have I been able to catch up with all the nominations this year which is a shame. For that reason, there will be no Nozzers this year, unfortunately. I feel too misinformed as I've missed out on a couple of the films to hand out the Nozzers but hopefully next year I will be able to. It's been a great year but the Oscar pool has shrunk and now more than ever do they not hand out for single performances but rather films that are ultimately good by the Academy. This year though the main surprise is that the cinematography nominations are actually different to the Best Picture nominations with Prisoners (it should win but won't) and Inside Llewyn Davis stealing a nomination each. Yes, below are my predictions for what's happening in only a couple of hours but I shan't be able to check if I'm right. Or make money if I am right since I felt too misinformed to put a bet on. These are done by the run ups to the Oscars more than anything else.

Best Picture: 12 Years a Slave
Best Director: Alfonso CuarĂ³n
Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey (should be Chiwetel Ejiofor)
Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto (should be Michael Fassbender)
Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong'o (her or Jennifer Lawrence but really hope it's Lupita)
Best Original Screenplay: Her
Best Adapted Screenplay: 12 Years a Slave
Best Animated Feature: Frozen
Best Cinematography: Gravity (Prisoners personally)
Best Visual Effects: Gravity
Best Documentary: The Act of Killing
Best Foreign Language Film: The Great Beauty 
Best Costume Design: The Great Gatsby
Best Film Editing: Gravity
Best Makeup and Hairstyling: American Hustle
Best Production Design: Gravity
Best Sound Editing: Gravity
Best Sound Mixing: Gravity
Best Visual Effects: Gravity
Best Original Score: Gravity
Best Original Song: Let It Go 
Best Live Action Short: The Voorman Problem
Best Documentary Short: Facing Fear
Best Animated Short: Get a Horse!

Here's to hoping I break my 17/21 record of last year.